Sunday, July 13, 2008

Awwww!


A while ago I caught myself in a disturbing though-train.

I drive a battered (by me and my woeful maneuvering skills) Peugeot 206, and much as I love it, and wish I could do rally driving in one, it's a wee bit of a squeeze with two car seats, the buggy, (which fills the boot), the shopping, my collection of general crap...

So I started fantasising about a new car, and it occurred to me that what we really need is something with space to (for example) go collect a freecycled sofa if needs be, something vanlike that would also work as a family car... oo-er, I seem to have an unconscious desire for a people carrier!
Then the other day the husband suggested trading my car in off a van of sorts, and giving me his - then we'd have the thing for transporting stuff, and he'd have it for the music gear. We decided to have a look at what's out there, and while he was online last night he started to look at second hand VW campers. How cool would that be? They're so appealing! We both love the idea, though I suspect it may be totally impractical.

But what was in our heads as we went to sleep last night was this site he found.

Scroll down the page that opens to October, Frankie and Mark, for the cutest story ever! And check out the decor of the van interiors, I love them - I would totally do this if we got one.

Oooo, want. If only we had the money! Did you see someone in Tipperary won the Euro lotto on Friday? €15million... people nag on about one in eight million chances, but I bet the couple that won don't regret the tickets they bought before...

8 comments:

Thriftcriminal said...

Mmmmmm, lotto, freedom (to sit on my hole)

Lottie said...

Ooh - Lotto. I have to check my tickets. Tell ya what - If I win - Ill give ya my Fiesta. It's just been cleaned.

Anonymous said...

OMG- have totally been obsessing about renovating old banger van lately with a view to turning it into a camper van for concerts!!!

Apparently you get a really sweet insurance excemption if you get a sink installed in the back. I wonder do you get further tax exemptions for painting ban-the-bomb symbols on the side? I bloody hope so.

Jo said...

An insurance exemption for a sink?? Seriously? Not in Ireland though, right?

Anonymous said...

Yes in Ireland! My buddy down in Cork installed a bunk bed, storage area and sink... he uses it as a fishing van :) His insurance is next to nothing now.

Unknown said...

Hi Jo, there is a group insurance scheme for campers but it is predicated on your having insurance on another vehicle. The tax is about €85pa. The vws are terrifically cute but can demand a fair deal of work. Ones in good condition can be quite expensive.

Look at http://themusicphotographer.com/t2i/ for info on the Irish VW world.

Jo said...

Thanks a million, Conan. There's lots of reading to be done there.

I don't think it's going to be a flier for now, but maybe in a while, and once we have our studying done.

Cheers.

morgor said...

people nag on about one in eight million chances

Oi!, I know where that's directed!