Tuesday, August 26, 2008

memo: admin: family names

Memo

To: readers
From: me

Re: admin

It occurred to me tonight that anonymity, such as it is, is irritating. I'm always writing down my family's names and then having to delete, or worried that I've missed one. Worse still, I hate saying 'my husband' all the time, it's cringy. It feels both unconvincing and, I don't know, sort of trophy-wifey somehow. My daughter never leant herself to nicknames, and while my son does (though Smarshmallow never stuck - my daughter's insisted on name for the unborn baby, if it was a boy, or a girl), it's all too time consuming.

So I've taken a decision. A derivative one. In the form of better bloggers than I, I think that my family deserve fictive names.


Henceforth, my son shall be known by one of the names I wanted to call him by, Bodhi. If we were Californian I would have gone for it, dammit. For Wicklow, we accepted that it was a little much.


My daughter refused to indulge me in this matter, insisting that she would be called NOTHING, EVER, so I think I'll just call her Olivia. Pronounced O-livia.


And the rock-star husband may as well be known as Axle. Feck it, why not?


This is fun, maybe I should write a novel.


Finally the dogs better get their second in the sun too, though I don't mention them much - two Jack Russells, a mother and son, 12 and 13, shall henceforth be known as Twinkie and Winkie.


That is all.

12 comments:

Nick McGivney said...

So who are you then?

Anonymous said...

I'd try not to let the dogs know you're calling them Twinkle & Winkie.

Even Jack Russells have teeth. And Pride.

Martin said...

Wait..Jo is not short for Joseph?

Jo said...

You know who I am.

I'm just Jo.

But it can be short for Jodette if you like.

Or Jodita!

Jo said...

Tinman, pfft, pride, not if there's food in the room, the crven beasties.

And it's Twinkie, not Twinkle. Don't worry, their real names are far cooler.

Lottie said...

If you refer to me can I be Lola Belle? Please????????

Jo said...

Well, absolutely! But Lottie's pretty cool already.

Anonymous said...

Read this, Jo, you're not gonna believe it:

http://tinman18.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/cake-in-stupidity/

tina said...

Love the names. Is that Bodhi as in the Sanskrit word Bodhi? Olivia is one of my favourite names.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the new adventures in naming!

Jo said...

Tina, yes, Bodhi as in Sanskrit. But also, Bodhi as in ... Point Break.

I would have loved to go for Bodhi, but we botlled it! If we'd been in the States, no question!

My other preference was Jed, but that got no joy, no joy at all :(

morgor said...

as you know i've just gone for Morgora.