Wednesday, November 19, 2008

attempted house and family manslaughter

Just a little update on how well I'm doing.

This morning, Axel needed a pot of hot water with which to wash down the path at the back.

I got him the pot, left the kettle to boil endlessly (it doesn't turn itself off with the filter bit out, I know this but still left it there, filled He the kitchen with steam. I emptied the water into the pot, left it to simmer, refilled the kettle, went away...

Some time later I was chatting to Xbox and morgor (yes, I'm that kind of girl, two on the go) when I remarked to morgor that Bodhi, who'd been in the hall, looked very purple about the lips. He does tend to suck chalk and markers, and looked alert and happy, so I thought no more of it. I went to help him with something and thought he had a smelly nappy. But when I took him over to the couch to check, he didn't. All well.

Except then Axel came in from his path cleaning to a house full of gas. It never lit. He took the pot and walked away. I never noticed the gas smell - well, not til I DID notice and proceeded to ignore it. Glad I didn't turn on a light switch and engulf us all in a fireball. Glad Bodhi didn't pass out in the hall, or anything, while I sat at the computer, oblivious.

Axel took him out for some fresh air, he was fine. I checked with a GP, who agreed that was the thing to do. Just in case you ever gas your baby or anything. Which I'm sure you never would.

It's just me who does that sort of thing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You claim you're not houseproud, and yet you WASH your garden?

We don't even wash our car...

Jo said...

No no no, it was covered in shit, Poor Axel had to clear out a blocked drain, god help him.

He was just trying to flush it out. It's usually knee deep in dogshit, ironically.

Apparently Jack Russell's crap two thirds of their body weight a day. I'd well believe it.

Nick McGivney said...

Phew! *Breathes deeply.* That wasn't nice at all. Thank the angels on this one.

Tinman - priceless.

morgor said...

Ooer. Wasn't red wine like I suggested then....

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I twice ignored and switched off the fire alarm in the hall way only to then smell smoke and find the oven ablaze in the kitchen with flames reaching up the wall to the ceiling and thick black smoke filling the room. I shut the door the went back to the living room and said to then girlfriend that we should get everyone out of the building. But we, in frightened silence, actually did the wet tea towels trick and put it out and then spent two days cleaning the soot away.

Moral of story: Don't grill BBQ pork chops.

Anonymous said...

I don't gas my kids, I just let them fall down the stairs.

My mother blew up my father once... he lost all the hair on his face and looked extrememly comical. He didn't think it so funny at the time, understandably.

Anonymous said...

That's true love K8

Lottie said...

Oh Jo - This is on the far end of the crazy dotty scale. Thankfully you noticed in time. We could have been reading about you and your lovely wee house in the paper tomorrow.

Martin said...

It would really have sucked if I had a 'Jo is typing' status and the house blew.

The curiosity would have feckin killed me.

Jesting aside, it's scary how utterly simple and easy it is for these things to happen.

Glad all is well.

Martin said...

Oh and, Tinman, my godmother used to hoover her lawn.

Anonymous said...

A relative of mine reported his car stolen when he discovered it was gone one morning. Weeks and months past and it was never found.

About three years later, the nearby lake was searched for a body and what did they find? Yep, the car. Seems it had rolled out of the driveway and down the road and into the lake which was pretty deep.

This scenario had been suggested at the time and he was laughed out of it by everyone.