Thursday, December 4, 2008

Jo's day



A post of little consequence

Got up, started the tail end of the work that has been dogging me since last Thursday.

Dressed the children, got them breakfast, school lunch, felt mildly panicked worrying about Christmas shopping and what I have to do in the coming week, finished work with baby on lap, had a shower.

Called around to find someone who could bring Olivia home for an hour - finally got someone while in town, so was able to drop off work, do a few errands.

On the way in, for some reason I started reliving the event of my mother's death in great detail, though I've pretty much stopped doing that. So I drove through Donnybrook pierced by agonising darts of guilt, torment, trauma and what ifs. Why? Who knows...

In town, I got cake decorations for a proper job doing a 40th birthday party, including sparkly pink cake spray and a butterfly mould. I think I stole an edible ink pen by accident.

Walking down Grafton St I saw: Boodles!! Walk away, walk away, no point looking there! I have no need of a beautiful engagement ring worth over a year's wages, no no.

Chatted to the assistant in the Body shop about how she still sucks her thumb at night (Bodhi sucks his thumb).

M&S! 20% off! Baby asleep! Oo! Indulgence, little by little, no self control. Flannel Jammies with purple polkadots, soft purply geansai (well, cardy, really) and the scirta I've been looking for for years - and I didn't need a bigger size! Yay! And all for €136, which I think is pretty good.

Then to Lush, to get a new deodorant, as it wasn't there last time and the nervous new girl didn't know the products but pretended to and sold me something expensive and crap instead. Grr Arg. In Lush they surround you and push 'help' on you, but they never know what they're actually talking about. I wish they'd relax their hard sell.

Had lunch in Nude, which I still love, Bodhi woke up and had a smoothie, sat on the bench and looked around. He did a thing of leaning forward and pressing his two palms on my leg in a way that felt full of significance, and melted my heart. He also had some muffin, om nyom, nyom, but the beans were to spicy, feh, away with that, mother!
Returned the shoes my daughter insisted she loved but then refused to wear because she could feel a bump in them... we're having princess and the pea days these days.

Drove home with Bodhi blowing bubbles in his smoothie through the straw, and giggling. Bubblebubble,gigglegiggle.
I've stuff in the car to gloat over, but I won't go get it til I've cleaned up all the crap that lines the walls in here. We might go get our tree on Saturday morning.

10 comments:

Martin said...

I don't think its a post of little consequence at all. There's a very significant tone in it that's good to read.

(that bloody ring, I was looking for something that would resemble a ribbon not so long back...)

Nick McGivney said...

I never get to town anymore. Mi vida loca, my runaway train of a life, won't permit it. If I did, I'd probably not make time for the tiny things I used to love when I had time. I probably wouldn't stand in Waterstones, putting my hand on books to feel if I'd like to read them. I probably wouldn't get sneaking downstairs to M&S to buy Percy Pigs that I'd scoff on the way back to the office. Today was unusual. I got to stand in Waterstones, and suddenly remembered that I love to judge a book by its heft. I almost cried. And then I bought Percy Pigs in M&S, right about the time you were there too. Which is nice.

Jo said...

I thought of you when I saw it, Xbox, but it's not really a ribbon, is it? More like Pater noster lakes...

Nick, ha, we'll bump into each other one day. If you see someone eyeing you with that 'is it, is it?' expression, it might be me :)

I lived in Rathmines til I was 7, we used to go to the National Gallery and the Zoo a lot, and Bewleys. It was lovely to bringmy daughter in to see the lights the other week, she really enjoyed being there. Shame on Brown Thomas, though, not doing the kids' window any more. What harm, a few elves and reindeer? So it's tacky, so what! They owe the street.

Anonymous said...

You see? I told you you say things in your blog that no-one else would dare to.
If I bought myself flannel jammies with purple polkadots no-one would ever be told.
Are you planning to wear them during the morning schoolrun?

MartyBanana said...

"I think I stole an edible ink pen by accident."

I laughed out loud, OJ.

Anonymous said...

I was out near your way today Jo. Had picked my car up from the mechanic and he told me to "drive the shit out it" for a few hours. So I belted down the N11 to Arklow and back again.

Jo said...

You should have called over!

When the first bit of that road opened, a colleague of my father's got caught speeding on it - he went to court, and the judge said, 'it's a good road, alright', and let him off.

Anonymous said...

Hah oh to a judge.

I'm hoping to visit that voodoo witch doctor friend of yours next week so I'll let know when.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blissful day to me!

Jo said...

Well, it was a lovely bit of shopping alright.