Sunday, December 14, 2008

weekend retro music post

You know, I think the Jesus and Mary Chain are hugely unerrated. It might not be for everyone, but their second last album is (I've actually only just found out there was a last album, and now I'm quite excited). It's called Stoned and Dethroned, and it is chilled, laid back, sweet and understated and groovy. It's waiting for your pint to settle, it's Sunday afternoon sex. It's just lovely.

So here is a lovely song, Sometimes Alaways, a duet with Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star.


If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, have a listen.

5 comments:

Nick McGivney said...

I kinda missed that whole JAMC wave. the people who were into them were faar too intense about it at the time, and there was too much soul music for me to explore anyway. But I like this, even if I feel a bit like I'm still missing the wave. It's as if Streets of your Town is back there somewhere, perfect in its perfection, and only the memory of it can exist now. And that's enough, because even today, without it's a blinder of a song. So I really liked this, but it feels somehow out of time.
(Steadies himself) Whoah! Didn't mean to come over all Cultural Attaché for the Go-Betweens there.

Nick McGivney said...

And apropos nothing, really, other than moody music by moody people, check out Fox Confessor brings the Flood by Neko Case. If you don't already know it, I'd be charmed to hear what you have to say on it, m'dear.

Anonymous said...

She's a little ride so she is.

Anonymous said...

Bah. Some third party went and stole it away.

Jo said...

Bastard third parties... might be still worth searching for there, sometimes it's still up.