Tuesday, January 27, 2009

handbags



When I was a scruffy little goth type teen I cared not jot for handbags. I scoffed at them, them and high heely lady type shoes.

Then I hit my mid twenties, maybe, and both started drawing me strangely. Til I would stand at shop windows, staring, staring.


Strange, isn't it?
The lure of the external womb. But pretty, like, with colours and pockets, and ideally, if you're me, little dogs hanging off them, not mucous and blood and such.
The best thing about a new bag is taking all your things out of it, and putting them into the new one. A pure and simple joy.
This post was inspired by Darren's confusion on spotting a man on the Dart with a sparkly pink handbag, full of his own stuff, no girlfriend in sight.
I want this man to just like his pink handbag, and for his fellow passengers to be unphased, unnoticing, toting their own. The era of the manbag should really have fully dawned by now. Surely it's time?
Perhaps we could start off small, with a testicular coin purse, and work up from there.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind guys with shopper style bags and larger totes(for lack of a better word) but I dunno about guys with smaller ones, mags are fun, but there is a fine line.

Anonymous said...

I have a man bag, shoulder bag, call it what you will.

But I would love a testicular coin purse.

Jo said...

I know Jonathan. I'm not really serious about forcing dainty pretty handbags on men. But, I am bemused by their general refusal to put their stuff in any sort of bags. Or use umbrellas.

morgor said...

Men don't need handbags, we have pockets.

Indeed that's the very reason i'm fond of combat trousers.

If i need to carry more then i'll bring a little backpack.

Besides, most womens bags only fit a mobile and a purse and a bit of lipstick.

My mobile in one pocket my keys and wallet in another and as for the lipstick, I just put a lot on before leaving the house.

Lottie said...

It's very true - The height of new bag excitement is casting your old one into the press to be forgotten about for a while. It's pathetic how happy a new bag or pair of shoes can make me.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I need a man mala. My wallet always being in my back right pocket has probably caused my sciatic nerve pinch issue.

Jo said...

Oo,sciatic nerve pinch is a fucker. In fairness, shoulder bags cancreate back issues too.

Try some Rhus Tox (homeopathic remedy, health food shop/talk to homeopath for the sciatica, it sorted me out in pregnancy). A visit or two to the osteopath would be worth it too. Especially after your furniture related acccident...

Anonymous said...

I've had a shoulder bag ever since the sixties when they were a de rigueur hippy accessory. My first was one of those Greek bags and then I had several very feminine bags which none of my laid-back acquaintances and workmates paid any attention to. Now I have a bigger more masculine bag so as not to embarrass my dear partner.

Don't know what I'd do without a bag, I carry so much stuff in it - books, newspapers, local map, notebook, umbrella, you name it. How do men do without one?

Jo said...

Now that's what I'm talking about, Nick. Good man!

Anonymous said...

No, no, absolutely no. You’ve de-lurked me with this one Jo. A man needs a handbag like a fish needs a bicycle ( to coin a phrase).

Jo said...

Ha, Sniffle. But what are you going to put your fish in??