Thursday, November 12, 2009

sympathies



Someone I know, a friend of a friend, is suffering one of the worst on the list of Worst Fears most of us share.

A pointless, tragic, senseless loss. Her fiancee taken away without reason or care. I'm so sorry for their loss.

Most of us have woken in the early hours and seen the bed beside us empty, sent texts that weren't responded to, and been unable to stop ourselves from spinning the worst case scenario in our heads. The nightmare.

It is freezing, horrifying, heartbreaking, to see it come real for someone you know. I know she is surrounded by loving, caring people. I know she is uncommonly strong and capable and will shelter her children and manage, and manage. I know she knows this.

But it is also uncommonly cruel that she has to.

My heart aches and my eyes sting and I join in the wishes, the if onlies, the whys.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I'm so sorry. I will think of her tonight.

Mick said...

I woke up about an hour ago. All my little family in one nice, warm bed. I didn't want to move or make any sound to wake them up so I thought to myself that I would just reach over, take me iphone and read my blogs.

Yours was first.

After reading that, I quietly put the phone away and snuggled down again, thankful for what I've got and at the same time thinking about this woman.

I don't think it matters how strong you are. I know that I would never be able to deal with anything like that...

Poor, poor woman.

Martin said...

I don't do much 'going out' anymore but when I do it usually ends up in the wee small hours.

I often think of what could have happenned if I'd cycled a different route home or had another drink etc.

The idea of not coming home is a scary one.