Monday, April 19, 2010

blackbird

Olivia came home from her music class last week, and told me they'd learned a lovely song. She sang a little - and it was this:



I love that they're singing it, but it's weird to teach them the song without any background. It's a music appreciation kind of class - teach them about the Beatles for heaven's sake! Still, I suppose that's our job. Olivia's just much more open to input from sources other than her parents.

Conversation sample:

Olivia: (variation on a theme) It's great that it's only 6 more years til I'm a teenager!
Me: that's right god help me
Olivia: And I'll definitely be making out by then
Me: you will??
Olivia: Oh, yes
Me: and is that a good thing
Olivia: Oh, Yes!
Me: okaaaay .... why is that a good thing?
Olivia: I'm not going to tell you!
Me: well, that's fine, I'll just wait and read your diary and
        find out that way
Olivia: No you won't because I will have a lock on it!

Apparently she had the same conversation with her father later, but felt stymied bcause it went like this:

Olivia:  It's great that it's only 6 more years til I'm a teenage because I'll be making out by then!
Axel: generic alarmed dad query
Olivia: I'm not going to tell you!
Axel: That's ok, I'm probably better off not knowing
Olivia:  - ! -

I love the differences in our reactions.

I must soothe you all by assuring you I'd never actually read her diary. I'm just praying we'll be friends by then, and she can just tell me stuff.

Actually, ha, today was weird - after swimming lessons, she and her little friend Ray found themselves showering at the same time while his dad and I looked on and dispensed shampoo and thwarted water-spitting fights. I looked at the two of them cavorting under the spray, and realised what a very co-ed moment it was.

7 comments:

Martin said...

'Making out' - shudder.

'Take the sunken eyes and learn to see' - Possibly my favourite single lyric ever.

(wv - fersts ...apt)

Ms. Moon said...

The fun has only begun. And I wouldn't count on that closeness-she'll-tell-me-things- idea.
Maybe.
Maybe not.

Jo said...

oh, please, don't scare me. I need to cling to that idea, at least for now.

Geeks in Rome said...

What a lovely song. I had never heard it before.

I am a bit terrified of the day the kids will be doing the hanky panky. I just hope they find wonderful, good, kind, loving mates. I so don't want them falling in love with a-holes because if you tell them their love is an a-hole then they just cling to them every more tightly.

Self-esteem is the key, they say. Do they sell that in a children's vitamin yet?

Jo said...

Ha. You're right. Self esteem and good education.

Anonymous said...

Oh good grief. Memories come flooding back of my mum reading my diary, interrogating my friends in the kitchen while I'm in the loo, opening my letters and leaving blackmail letters under my pillow.

Yes. When it comes to daughters, trust and a reasonable distance goes a LONG way.

Ever heard Bobby McFerrin's version of Blackbird? It's mind blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDlINT0w-A0

Anonymous said...

I love that she's excited that in only six years she'll be a teenager. I would have imagined that when you're seven six years must seem like a pretty long time, comprising as it does a sizable chunk of your lifespan. What a forward thinking and temporally sophisticated young lady you have on your hands.