Wednesday, September 8, 2010

pretty

Television has changed so much.

I used to watch a lot of things as a kid that Olivia would never look at now. Laurel and Hardy. Random black and white romances. Carry On films (god help us). Murder She Wrote (which, as an adult, I can attest to being the most boring thing I've ever seen).

But there was good stuff too. Tarzan films. What a score they were, when they came on. As guaranteed entertainment as the opening notes of the Looney Tunes cartoons.

I just came across this, and am entranced by its beauty. Remember Johnny Weismuller and his Olympic Swimmer skills? This is so lovely. Erotic, really. Well, ok, not the bit with the chimp.

5 comments:

Mwa said...

Laurel and Hardy was my favourite. Secretly still is. And you are dead right about Murder She Wrote. We are now rewatching the old Miss Marples, which are so much more brilliant than I remember. The dialogue is priceless at times.

Ms. Moon said...

I have loved Johnny Weismuller from the earliest times of my childhood. In fact, I believe that it was my deep love-crush on him which made me realize the possibility of what the future might hold as pertained to the erotic joys- whatever they might be.
I have pictures of him in my office and the sight of him still stirs me. I am serious about this. He was a gorgeous human animal.
You know, when they filmed Tarzan and His Mate (at Silver Springs, in Florida) they filmed that underwater scene three different ways. Jane nude, Jane dressed in her jungle outfit and Jane, topless but not entirely nude. The Hays Office came down on the film and they replaced the nude Jane but Ted Turner restored her. Yay TED!
An Olympic swimmer named Josephine McKim was the double who did the swimming parts with Johnny Weismuller in this clip although when they broke the surface and a bosom is exposed- that's Maureen O'Sullivan's very lovely breast.
Thank-you, Jo, for posting this today. And forgive me my dork-nerd little essay on one of my most favorite movies of all times.

Jo said...

Dork nerd nothing! This is the most best comment I could have hoped this post would receive!

Janine Ashbless said...

Wow. This is surprisingly, hypnotically sexy.

My meory of childhood TV is that I watched a lot of it feeling really bored or slightly irritated, just because there wasn't anything else on: The A-Team, Porridge, Terry and June, the Two Ronnies, and yes, Carry On...

Jo said...

Yes to all of those - all that ITV Saturday evening crap :)

Remember Russell Whatsisname?