Monday, December 13, 2010

not waving...

How does anyone in full time work do this Christmas thing? I can remember the stress of working and shopping and cleaning and giving up on all the plans and all the fun stuff like cookies and cards turning  into chores - which, to be honest, is about to happen again, as Christmas is two weeks away and the shopping is not finished and the other things are not done.

And ... still working... just sent in my hours and it seems to add up to NOTHING. All those late nights and hours and stress just diminish when I add 'em up. Bah. I need a different job. Don't we all?

The shops keep not having what I want. And today in M&S I had to put back jammies for Bodhi that only came in threes - he loves jammies with a me-like passion. I hate the guilt tug of war between not spending what I can't afford, and not getting the kids things they need. Oh well. Maybe he doesn't need new ones, he has two pairs, plus the pair from Pennies on which the zip just broke. That's what I get for buying from Pennies! Yes it is.

Soon I will post about going to the Frames in Whelans. This is an experience that will be burningly nostalgic for me and while I'm so excited I'm getting to go, and will surely dance like I'm 16 again, I fear I may also weep a lot and frighten the kind friend from my past who sorted me out with a ticket like the angel star fairy she is.

Until then, I have no time for craft of coherence or meaningful anything. Seriously, this life we live, traffic and cares and burnout and exhaustion. What's it all about? When will there be a better way?

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I don't know that there WILL be a better way. It's why we're all on antidepressants. We're not supposed to live like this.

Mwa said...

Sadly, I know just what you both mean. I have that feeling almost every day now. This is not what we were meant to live like. Not at all.

laughykate said...

And it's really hard to do Christmas shopping when you're working seven days a week. And Christmas shopping should be fun, not stressful.

And the sad thing is, is that I'm in this situation because when I said, 'Yes' to everything three months ago, I forgot about Christmas.

I want to punch myself in the throat.

Tatty Franey said...

this post made me so sad... because sometimes i wish it was just me who felt like this, because an isolated problem is easier to solve, right?
what have we done to ourselves?

geeks in rome said...

I cheat and shop on Amazon for the kids and send online gift certificates or send charity dollars (buy a goat kind of thing) in my family members names for the adults.
Working full time means no time, but some extra cash for the convenience factor.

Back when I was super poor (and had more time) I made gifts. I got a book out of the library and learned to make paper and made people crafty stationery or paper sculpture. When I worked at a quarry I made weird stone candleabra (huge hit) out of scrap stones, Or I reprinted old photographs of the people on my list and xeroxed a calendar and pasted the photos above the dates.... now you can do that online I see.

But kids want stuff and poor Bodhi does need jammies. Do you have Good Will over there? Is he young enough to not realize something is not new? I find the second hand stuff is so durable and high quality. The crap never makes it to the thrift shops cuz it's already in the garbage.

take a deep breath dear one and remember what's the greatest gift of all... and give that every day.

Irmhild said...

jammies with a zip? can't picture them!
full time working people get lunch breaks, and tea breaks, so they can do their online research and online shopping when they should be having their cup of tea, and they can go out at lunch time and buy stuff, at least if they work near shops...
I used to work in the city centre and never ever had to 'go' christmas shopping, i just went for walks at lunch time and if i saw something i wanted to buy as a gift, i got it, no stress...
This year we limited gifts severely, for money reasons, and i got almost everything online.
Emm has 3 pyjamas, which seems plenty, as she gets dressed before breakfast. she's still in those cute baby ones, with feet... I had actually ordered her a 3-pack of the next size up online, but they looked so ridiculously huge that i brought them back to the shop, i doubt they'd fit her before christmas next year!
i've never seen pyjamas in charity shops, i think they have rules about underwear and nightwear...

Jo said...

The zip ones are the ones with feet, that's what I mean :)

Good point, Irmhild. I always felt hassled when I was working - though I suspect that's just my own organisation issues!