Monday, August 20, 2012

vanity

I'm about to have to get rid of a tooth. A molar, bottom left side of my mouth. The gap will be visible when I open my mouth at all. My teeth are appalling, soft and susceptible, though I had no fillings til 19. I never have the money for routine checks, I haven't gone to the dentist often enough. Pregnancy seems to have done for them.

I've no money for root canal and I've read alarming things about its health repercussions, implants sound a bit horrifying and again, expensive. I think bridges are no longer feasible as the connections rot the other teeth? I hope that's wrong. Still - I have to save money for the kids' braces it's looking like they'll need. Though I see a lot of people in their 20s with braces these days, is it becoming acceptable to let kids wait and pay for their own?

I'm hoping that sooner rather than too much later they'll come out with tooth regrowth technology - they've promised it, but they've promised a lot of things that have yet to come to light. In the meantime, crone-dom here I come.

Seriously, each time you worry about how old you're looking, just anticipate the ravages the next five years will wreak, and be glad for what's left now. 

1 comment:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh honey. I'm so sorry.