Thursday, November 15, 2012

america america

I finished up some work that's been on my back for ages and ages because I can't seem to work like a normal human being anymore. This morning I had to pop up to the school, so then I came home and had porridge and coffee, which felt somehow very grown up. It made me think of America - coffee and sunshine is the feeling of California for me, walking down the street smelling that particular sweet smell coming from the wooden shops, and the aroma of coffee floating out to you from the coffee shops. Ben and Jerry's, sandwiches with avocado and alfalfa and mustard and mayo.

I would like to live in the little foody, olfactory haven that my images of the U.S are, not the real one with war and Republicans and drone bombs and hundreds of mandatory innoculations and mass murder and fundamentalism. There is such astounding beauty there, where the theme tune is America the Beautiful that my mother used to sing to me at night (having escaped it!). There's so much good, and so much idiocy and so much evil. Same as everywhere, of course but America does it with such style.

I would love to see Yosemite again. I would love to be in the quiet, quiet hills of Santa Barbara, I'd even like to go to the desert, very briefly, and without any spiders. I want to go to upstate New York in the Autumn, and also to see that place in Vermont where the woman's planted those fields of daffodils. And snow. Snow in cabins and hot chocolate and sledding. You could go to America forever and not see it all. I wish they'd embrace clean energy and real freedom. I wonder how things will go in the next four years. 

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I think that since we have such a wide and vast number of cultures all trying to figure it out together, we get a little insane. Okay, a lot insane.
But yes- our country has its beauty, its charms, its hopes and dreams. Just like any other. We can be the best and the worst. It's never boring.

Jo said...

Whoops, I lost a vital comma there and ended up with Ben and Jerry's alfalfa sandwiches. Which is a bridge too far, really.

kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

no spiders you say???

SOLD!

Jo said...

No scary spiders in Ireland! No desert either, I was thinking Arizona, but scorpions and giant spiders do abound there, so I need to go to the fantasy desert that is bug free.

In Ireland there's not a huge amount of sunshine, lots of rain. No snakes, spiders, earthquakes, volcanoes, some newly arrived mosquitoes and occasional flooding.