Monday, October 15, 2007

100 fav things post



A friend did a great list of things for her 100th post and I loved the idea so I resolved to nick it - as she did herself, and so on. Unfortunately, every time I think of a favourite thing, it's food related. So I'm tempted to do a 100 favourite things to eat post, then I think, God I'm obsessed but hey, we all know about my foody compulsions, so maybe I shouldn't pretend. Let's just see how it goes, in no real order:


1. Chocolate Cherry Torte, our family Birthday Cake, which my mother made from an old Farmer's Journal Cake cookbook, sublime.


2. And all the other things she used to bake so beautifully, my American heritage. I try and do them now, with varying degrees of success - brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cheesecake, blackberry custard pie.


3. Reading, preferably lying on my bed, and eating!


4. The soft little button heel of my babies' untrodden feet, my favourite part of a baby!


5. Withnail and I.


6. The characters from That 7o's Show, I love them.


7. Stargate and Stargate Atlantis - especially Ronon Dax.


8. Men's long hair. Or shaved heads, like prickly velvet. mmmm


9. Children's books: picture books, story books. I can't wait to read my kids the Hobbit. Or Harry Potter. Or all the rest.


10. Writing. Even when it's shite, but especially when it works.


11. Making people laugh.


12. Laughing.


13. Conversation. Those really good hypothesising ones, about silly things, when you're all on the same wavelength and it's fun and intense and communication flows.


14. I used to love sex and now I'm at a period in my life where it's sort of absent. I hope it'll come round again, that teenage buzz. But I thought I'd include it because it was once all I thought about!


15. Fireworks. God, I LOVE fireworks.


16. The Frames. Very important part of my life. I met the ex base player at the airport last weekend, he asked us where the check in was and I BEAMED at him but didn't get round to telling him why!


17. Champagne Cocktails. Black Velvets, mmm. Any cocktails, really.


18. That moment when you go to the toilet and realise you're drunk because the cubice sort of sways around you, that happy Guinness, 'hooray, I'm pissed feeling.


19. Live music. The Pixies, Nirvana, Metallica, Violent Femmes, David Byrne, Kirsten Hersh, The Big Geraniums, hell, the Juice - memorable gigs...


20. As a teacher, this may sound bad, but teenage boys - the best and the worst of humanity all at once.


21. Post pub/gig food.


22. Snow.


23. Summer evenings.


24. Bray seafront, when the water's metallic light blue and the sun is setting. And Bray head is beautiful. Gorgeous.


25. Achill Island.


26. Puppies.


27. Cuddling - and good hugs - Alan Crotty and Mark McKinney, best huggers ever!


28. Ok, this is gross, but spot squeezing. Sue me, it relaxes me.


29. Hot baths, with Lush bath bombs.


30. The moment when the plane jumps into the air.


31. Swimming - if I'd lived in any other country I could have been a contender.


32. Talking about sex with the girls.


33. Facemasks and other stuff you put on and peel off.


34. Having fingernails! Whee! I love nail varnish.


35. Dancing.


36. Indian accents, and the way Indians speak English.


37. Wolves.


38. Novelists. Barbara Kingsolver.


39. Television, the drug of the nation...


40. Cereal. I could live on it - in fact I often do.


41. Sand.


42. Fiddling with things. And doodling.


43. The internet. Amazing invention.


44. Clean sheets, preferably in conjunction with freshly shaven legs - and going whoosh whoosh against the sheets! I'm embarrassed by how long it's been since I've done that!


45. Getting email.


46. Dinner parties. A combination of many things I love - cooking, eating, conversation, laughing, drinking... why don't more people I know invite me to them?


47. Dreaming about winning the Lottery.


48. My four year old daughter's fantastic questions - learning the world insightfully.


49. Really heavy rain, thunder and lightening, hail - safe extreme weather.


50. Scenery, outdoors. The imagination and feelings the beauty of nature produces.


51. Trees.


52. Christmas. Decorations, glowiness, getting presents, my mother's stuffing and red cabbage.


53. Horses.


54. Clothes, surprisingly, given what a scruff bag I am.


55. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. So many many happy hours.


56. Stand up Comedy, live or otherwise, and having a pain in my face from laughing.




58. That my husband, when he was my boyfriend, used to cycle round Bray on a pink bike, wearing pink dungarees and a pink t shirt, with his long hair blowing in the wind...


59. Black.


60. Pink.


61. Bubbles.


62. Ladybirds.


63. Making things.


64. Shopping.


65. Making plans. Writing lists!


66. Handbags. Radley is my brand of choice. I particularly love getting a new one, and putting all the stuff from the old one into it.


67. Jeans.


68. Art supplies and stationary.


69. Books.


70. Erotica.


71. Candlelight. We had a powercut recently and it was lovely. It made the ordinary seem spiritual, peaceful, beautiful. My daughter sleeps with the light on at the moment - standing in her room in the flickering candlelight watching her sleep seemed so much better.


72. Photo albums, old and new.


73. Dreams - mine and yours.


74. Sleeping.


75. Getting home, putting on comfies.


76. Discovering things in common.


77. Looking at attractive people.


78. Other people's houses.


79. Being made a cup of tea or a hot water bottle.


80. Getting post. Nice post, that is.


81. Winning stuff on ebay.


82. Children's programmes from my youth - I just bought a dvd of the Flumps!


83. A well articulated opinion.


84. Today fm - Ray Darcy and Tom Dunne.


85. I am so proud of Daire O Brian.


86. The Beatles.


87. Fresh homegrown vegetables - corn on the cob, salad, peas, artichokes with garlic butter wine sauce. Perfect.


88. A really nice apple.


89. Harriet the Spy. Great book.


90. The Stephanie Plum series.


91. the Lord of the Rings, book and film.


92. My wedding music. Pachelbel's Canon on the way in, 'Baby I love You' by the Ramones on the way out. :)


93. Chatting to strangers.


94. Getting really clean after getting really dirty.


95. Van Gogh's Starry Night. Like being on drugs. Go see it!


96. The Municipal House in Prague.


97. Being in bed.


98. The support of other women.


99. Babies.


100. ICECREAM!

2 comments:

Midget Wrangler said...

Love it!!!! All the things I've learnt about you....tenage boys? He he!

Jo said...

I have to confess my newest, terrible fascination with Drake from Josh and Drake!