Tuesday, August 5, 2008

playdough recipe


Rainy day. Bored children. Playdough!


1 cup flour

1 cup water

1 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 cup salt

dessert spoon sunflower oil (or similar)

food colouring


Mix 'em all together on a low heat. Stir til it goes solid, then take it out and knead it a little to toughen it up. I recommend adding the food colouring during cooking, it's less messy, but if you want two colours, do seperate batches - the alternative is to poke holes in the finished playdough, pour in the colouring and gingerly knead - but you get stained hands and possibly surfaces.


It keeps well in a plastic bag in the fridge.


I love playdough.


10 comments:

laughykate said...

But what does it taste like?

Jo said...

Hee, very salty - but not enough to stop the baby eating it, apparently :(

Lottie said...

FUN!

Jo said...

NO, Lottie, don't even think about it! Back to work!

Lottie said...

Spoil Sport!

Really god idea though.

Anonymous said...

I used to do this for my kids too! We only ever had it in green because that was the only food colouring I ever had in for some reason, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Play-Do you buy.

Another thing I did was make gak with cornflour and water. If you get the proportions right - easy to do just by adding more conrnflour - it turns into this wieard stuff that's a solid on the bottom of the plate, but when you pick it up it goes all lighidy and wierd. I love that stuff. Ithink I liked playing with it more than the girls.

Jo said...

So will I get it if I just mess around with proportions? That sounds fun.

Martin said...

Mala!

Jo said...

Sniff! Plasticene...

It's not the same as Playdough though.

Where does the name mala come from? Is it from 'maul'?

Martin said...

not a clue, just from bosco is all I remember!