Monday, September 15, 2008

dreaming


I had very broken sleep last night. It could be something to do with a teething Bodhi, and sand in the bed.


But it does make you notice your dreams more (however painful it is being torn out of REM sleep). So last night, there was a lot of stuff about clothes being strewn round on the ground, possible theft of possessions, and the finding dead of a fish in a fish tank. And other things about pets. And perhaps children.


And then this morning, I was escaping in a bus past some sort of traveller settlement. I didn't quite make the level crossing. The road was dry, hot and dusty, but wide and straight, and there was somehow space to pull a U turn. As I did so, it turned into a child's ride on bus, but I went zooming away at high speed (after burning my leg on the spinning wheel), delighted to find myself jumping over speed ramps, exhilarated. I was really enjoying this little action sequence when Olivia had the nerve to wake up a good twenty minutes earlier than necessary.


One of the most challenging things about having young children is the sleep disruption. My sleep debt is even bigger than my credit card debt, and that's saying something. But one of the things I find really hard is missing out on my dream time, the time when you're awake enough to lie there and be slightly aware that you're dreaming - it's the comfiest time as well. The snugliest. I really miss it.

No comments: