Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm a little busy this week. Do you want to know what I'm doing? You actually don't it's very boring, but I'm having a week off from my brain, it seems. I didn't decide to, but I have the brain of a plate of goo at the moment.


Tomorrow I'll go visit my grandmother in a recuperative nursing home type place in Clontarf. She had an operation on her arthritic knee, after a couple years of deliberation by the doctors. She's 91. I'd been told that the operation would be with anaesthetic and there would be a strong chance she'd die on the table. She felt it was a risk worth taking - deliverance from a life in pain or plain old deliverance. But then I heard it would take a YEAR in a nursing home to recover - and where's the point in that at her age?

So when I rang her twice the other week and got no answer I gave in and rang my father (who lives next door, and who I don't talk to much). His wife answered and cheerfully told me my granny had just had surgery. I was a bit alarmed that no one had told me. Apparently she got a last minute cancellation. They gave her an epidural, and she'll only be a few weeks in the nursing home.

When I told my father's wife I thought she'd be in recovery for a year, she laughed grimly and said 'if only'.

Ever subtle, she is. I think if you get involved with someone who already has a wife, children and an elderly mother, then you really have to accept that those people will be in your life too - and decide before you commit, whether you can live with them or not.

Although you can always wait for them to die or fuck off of their own accord - so she's already got two out of four on that count.

So yeah, I'm going to Clontarf. I rang her to tell her the other day and she was in a fit of disgust, because there was priest giving mass in the ward with her.

Then I"m taking my demon daughter to McDonald's as insentive to try and encourage her not to act like a fiend. She hasn't really been that good, but still, positive encouragement.

Then shopping for baking goods to make cupcakes for the breastfeeding ladies from our photo shoot. And I must beautify. Try to crack the cement from my heels, etc.

Friday is baking day, but I might pop out to meet Midget Wrangler and Aisling for a coffee in the morning.

Blahdeblahdeblah. Is this better than no post at all? Um, no, not really. Sorry!

PS I just saw a trailer for The Notebook. Could I watch it? I never have. Is it worth the vomit churning, throat bursting weep-fest I know it'll be for me?
Still, Ryan Gosling. Mmm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this better than no post at all?

Of course Jo, the feminine, an alternate perspective to mine. My Da is 81 next birthday and I love the contrary cunt, more now then when I loved him as a child. I do.

Recently, I called an ambulence for him, had to, and just before he got better, my step-brother called another for his mum.

What are we to do?

And you so can't win with family.

So post now and often about stuff.

Darragh said...

Jaysis, where do I start with that? Is it enough to say Hiya, good luck? And leg it for my appointment on the promise I'll come back and share advice you won't take anyways?

Jo said...

Eh, good luck with what now? Advice about what now?

I"d better go read my post again! :)

morgor said...

demon daughter!

does she have ... powers?

maybe i'd better give Buffy a call. (or Sarah as she prefers to be called when i ring her out of the blue, she never rings back...)

Anonymous said...

Watch the notebook!

I am generally not that into girly movies par se but I really loved this one. I even bought it one day but only cause it was down to 7 bucks, I swear ;)

Anonymous said...

Watch the notebook!

I am generally not that into girly movies par se but I really loved this one. I even bought it one day but only cause it was down to 7 bucks, I swear ;)