Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Black President Day

I know a million other people have said it earlier and better than me, but I was happy to tell my daughter that there was a black president elected in the States today, and what it means for the US.

This is historic, in terms of change and growth. I fear for him, though, and I salute his bravery, and that of his family.

I hope this election sends a different message to the world about America and its intentions (though that may be a bit optimistic). A different one than two dodgy elections of GWB, anyway.

I can confess something now - I voted against GW twice, to no avail, but I didn't actually vote this time. Out of laziness, basically. And because I'm registered in California and I was pretty certain he'd get in there, and my one vote wouldn't tip any scales. It's a weird system.

I do feel guilty (go on, feel free to heap on the outrage) but in the end it was ok.

A happy day.

8 comments:

Tatiana Franey said...

oh i didn't know you are american.
am delighted with the result and hoping for change. change is good!

Jo said...

Well, more Irish than American, but my mother was, and I have dual citizenship.

Anonymous said...

oh yeahhhh that's right. I forgot that. Well I think you are off the hook this time Jo, he was pretty certain to make it. I fear for him too but not because he is black, because big nasty business won't like his foreign policy. I'm afraid they will take him out.

Jo said...

Oh, for his sake, I hope you're tlking through you're tinfoil helmet there. Though sadly, maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Well said Jo. I’m bordering on bogus I know, but I’m thrilled. My daughter called me a wuss when I cried this evening, again, at his Chicago speech.

That guilt thing is as useful as a bicycle is to a fish. My inner cynic is strangely calm.

Anonymous said...

I went to sleep last night with a warm feeling. No, not a hotwaterbottleandabottlebovril but the fact that BO has done it and after watching the news and seeing the pure tears of joy and hope in the faces of Americans as they realised what they had achieved.

Lottie said...

Jo I didn't know that either.

Jo said...

Ha, I have layers. Like an onion.