Monday, December 29, 2008

conflictedness


Thriftiness. It's a good thing. Taking care what you buy, being inventive about solutions to problems without throwing money at them.


I sit here amidst the debris of our consumer Christmas, and all the THINGS from before that. And I know it's not so good.

Thriftiness is ecological. You don't waste. You avoid over consumption. You save money for significant, quality things.

So why, why does it irk me so much? It just, annoys me. When people say 'we don't blah blah' and 'we never blah blah'. It makes me want to fling logs made of luxury items on the fire to warm the room, and buy extra silken sheets. It seems so holier than thou. Even though it's not really. Perhaps I just feel guilty and inferior. Still, it makes me uncomfortable. Wastrel Jo.

No comments: