Saturday, January 31, 2009

sweet potato soup for the soul


What a muckety few days. I know this is a pointlessly negative attitude, but I can’t help but feel this weather is a punishment for the two days of blue skies we got. Or at least meant to wipe them from our memories.

To bring some cheer and cosy to the house I made Sweet Potato Soup, and it was so tasty I thought I’s share. I don’t have a recipe, but here’s what I did:
Chop one large onion, fry (saute even) til soft in a good bit of olive oil
Add a rounded teaspoon or more of Cinnamon
Dice about two large-ish sweet potatoes (I used three thin ones this time – maybe two and a half cups? Doesn’t really matter.
Add the sp’s and stir, as the cinnamon sticks (har, geddit?) Let them cook for a bit.
Add enough water to more than cover them.
Add some stock – I use Marigold Reduced Salt Bouillon Powder.
A wee bit of pepper.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 15 mins.
While the soup is cooking or even sooner, open up a red pepper and put it under a medium grill til it blackens.
Take it out and put it in a plastic bag or wrap in clingfilm for 5 mins, then peel off the skin.
Pop it in the soup about 5 mins before it’s ready.
When the time is up, blend the lot together. Mine was a bit runny, so I put in two tsps of cornstarch. You mix a bit of the soup with the powder, then add the lot back in and mix.

It's so good with fresh buttered bread!

Olivia wouldn't consider trying it, but Bodhi scoffed it and wiped it all over himself in equal measure.

I should have taken a photo – but it’s all gone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh yum. I just made brownies, the weather just screams comfort food at me. They arent gooey enough in the middle though, damn you Rachel Allen!!

Jo said...

In fairness to RA, ovens differ. and Nigella says it's a split second between too gooey and too dry. It's really hard to know as they keep cooking as they cool. So you want to take them out a bit early-seeming.

Martin said...

how can you POSSIBLY not expect me to comment on "Nigella says it's a split second between too gooey and too dry"....

...don't I know it.

I love sweet potato, but in soup, hmmm.

I miss soup.

Anonymous said...

I often make carrot and sweet potato soup, but never with cinnamon and red pepper. I will give it a go, thank you for the idea.

Mick said...

mmm. Sounds delicious. I'll try and get my wife to make it. You've made me hungry :-)

Martin said...

Jesus Mick and the poor woman up the pole, pun intended.

Make it yerself!

Jo said...

Heh, heh, heh, he's the one who was up the Pole, snerk!

Good points, Xbox, I missed that one.

Lottie said...

Yummy! I love sweet potato purée too.

Anonymous said...

I adore sweet potatoes... they make the yummiest wedges I've ever tasted.

So where do you buy the Marigold Bouillon Powder then? I'm sick of OXO and it's hyper inducing tendencies.

Jo said...

The health food shop.

Or the little veg shop in the Boghall 'shopping centre', it's gone all organic, loadsa stuff.

I have tosay, this stuff is a world away from Oxo.