Sunday, March 28, 2010

join me in verse, dearies

Shanna Germain, beautiful writer, has great ideas. See her photo, read her 5 minute poem, write one inspired by either. I extend the offer to you, if you'd rather post it here? Maybe you'll see something more cheerful than I did. Sigh.




There is barbed wire stretched across my way



Before I can reach the wide open skies,

I must scramble across it

tear my hands and knees on its spikes

and brave the tenuous bounce of its thin support

the push and wobble under my hands

that will threaten to throw me

rend my clothes and leave me scarecrowed, crucified upon it



I’m chasing the sunset

Will the sky be dark before I extricate myself

from the cruel grip of grief and blame?

nothing left of the light but a line of fire on the unreachable horizon


2 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

Thanks for sharing and spreading the word! That's awesome.

I didn't find reading your poem to be depressing, although it sounds like the experience of writing it might have been different. I still love that line about being 'scarecrowed.' Beautiful.

Jo said...

Oh, hey Shanna! Beams*

Thanks :)

I posted it and then ran away and hid and peeped between my fingers.