Saturday, April 3, 2010

la grand mére sans déjouner

My mother in law is an odd one. She doesn't seem to understand about children needing feeding. Or wht happens if you give them biscuits and ice cream instead of ... lunch.

Axel says that when he was a kid, meal times were regimented, one o clock lunches and 5.30 dinners and that was that. These days it's all out the window. She's started eating porridge for breakfast, and apparently no longer eats lunch as she's so full. So she took the kids out today, and stayed out with them til 2, even though I said I'd be back before lunch. They'd had biscuits in her house, and an icecream I could smell on Bodhi's wailing, sweet dairy breath as he had his third meltdown in the supermarket.

It's weird. Weird weird. There's more to it than that, but I won't go on.

In bad mother news updates, I nearly left it too late to get Easter eggs (nobody seemed to have much stock this year) and I had a couple hours of panic when two supermarkets and two convenience stores were sold out. Axel tracked them down though, and got the requested Mint Aero one for Olivia (she's a woman of taste). But what would I have done? It's a scary thought. No Easter Bunny = mama doesn't love you...

The bunnies were crap this year too (or at least, at this late remove) so Olivia's getting a kitten, and I actually found a baby jaguar for Bodhi, who loves Diego. Diego is for boys. Not Dora. I see him telling strangers that his name's Diego quite often, which is always met with confusion and delight.




Dammit. The bunny is meant to hop around, all animated and bunny like. Bad bunny! No carrot!

6 comments:

Mwa said...

Grandmothers are allowed to do that, you know. It's their way of getting back at their children after all these years. Sigh.

Jo said...

But why must they get back at their daughters in law?? And sacrifice their grandchildren to it?

I know, I know...

Ms. Moon said...

Mmmmm. I will let you know the reason for this in a few years. I promise.
Happy Risen Jesus day, babe.

Martin said...

I just love the idea of him telling people his name is Diego. Brilliant.

A very Dutch neighbour couple near us has a son named Raul.

Bethany said...

bad bunny!
bad MIL.
loved this (assuming it wasn't a real bunny you were going to buy and bought a kitten instead).

Jo said...

nono! Just soft toys! Ha!