Thursday, July 1, 2010

the other anniversary

I'm bad with dates. Anything with numbers. I planned to post this a while ago - I mean, I planned it a while ago, and then forgot to post it, head filled up with other things. But it's ok. I never really wanted to hang on to this anniversary anyway, and I was glad when I started forgetting it.

So it's eight years since my mother died. Enough time to grow a startling, original, strong-willed girl from a chubby, sweetie-pie, strong-willed baby. Enough time to make the guy in the dole office look from my passport photo (got just in time for my aborted honeymoon) to my 8-years-older face with scepticism (the fucker!). Enough time to decide to dismantle a marriage. Meh.

It feels long ago and just yesterday in equal measure, I suppose, depending on my mood. As per the depressed negativity post, I think I've long exceeded my grief allowance, I don't think you're meant to talk about grief anymore this long after the fact. Are you? There are things about my mother's death I try not to think about, have told very very few people about and not since closer to the event... but I don't think sharing them will diminish them, and in truth, I'm scared of the guilt and grief and horror that accompanies them: so - I just push it away as best I can. Think about something else. Hope that time will sweep it away in the end, dull the edges and draw a veil, so the emotion that accompanies the memories will get sun-faded too.

But the need for a wise elder doesn't lessen - the older I get, the less I know, the more I miss that particular company. I wish I'd seen her hair go totally grey. I wish she'd got to know about blogging. But maybe the need for a mother never would have faded anyway. Perhaps we all still wish for the perfect one, even if we've got one of our own. I know I certainly sought out alternatives while she was still alive.

Ack, this isn't what I was going to say, exactly. Or how I meant to say it. But, nevermind. My mother was a kind of woman you don't really get here. And, because of this, there is a certain kind of woman I recognise her in, and I'm glad they're out there to be found. I wonder if anyone else can see it too... here's a picture of my mother a year or two before she died.



And here is one of someone else's mother, and grandmother, who you will know from her blog all about mothering, and if you don't, go visit Ms Moon.



And here is a woman who is mid-wife mother to countless women and babies through the years, and still helping us all with the work she's doing. I saw her speak when Olivia was a baby and it nearly made me cry, how familiar she was.


I'm a crappy mother to Olivia in loads of ways, but I still hope fervently that I won't have to leave her too soon. Or stay too long, I suppose. it's a loaded dice.

Ok, I'm rambling. I don't have a post, here, really. I just miss my mother.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

jo...we spoke about our mothers so often already..so you know my thoughts and opinion about it...

think of you...

its simply like that..we just have to hold on to what we got...

Mwa said...

I want to give you a big hug.

Please don't let that comment by that anonymous idiot mess you up. Eight years is nothing in grief and you can talk about it anytime. What a waste if "anonymous" stops visiting.

This is a beautiful post.

Emerald said...

Ah, Jo...this brought me to tears, actually.

It occurs to me that there is no arbitrary allotted time period for grief—it is unique to every person, situation, moment actually. But I will say that it seems to me that if something in us (an emotion, for example) is not processed, it may continue to be there. Its form may become more and more distorted, but if something like grief is in us and not experienced and thus processed, it may not be released because its function/existence has not yet been fulfilled.

Which is to say that you may find allowing yourself to be with the grief, pain, horror you sense or feel in you—while understanding yourself to be unconditionally loved, which you are—may transform it (perhaps transform you) and/or allow it to be released.

Donna George Storey recently blogged about a book she's reading called Healing through the Dark Emotions by Miriam Greenspan. I have not read it (had not heard of it before she mentioned it), but she has mentioned grief specifically as one of the topics it peruses. (The blog entry is here.)

Love, hugs to you again.

Martin said...

Ah, I hear you.

I get the bits about missing the figure and seeing glimpses elsewhere.

You'll have every right to miss her after 9 years too, and 22.

Jo said...

That's nice, Martin. I know.

Demure Lemur said...

What Mwa said! You're a beautiful writer and this is a beautiful post about your mother and mothering x

Ms. Moon said...

Jo, I am so honored to be in the same post as Ina May who, as you know, is one of my heroes. She changed my life and thus, my children's.
Thank-you.
I am sorry for the loss of your mother. Life would probably be easier if she were still here for you.
I know she must have loved you hugely.

Anonymous said...

"the need for a wise elder doesn't lessen "

That really resonates with me. And I'm sure that you sometimes feel you're a crap parent but I'm equally sure you aren't.

Jo said...

Hi dadwhowrites. Thanks for that... but... you don't know! :)

Nice to see you, thanks for coming by.

geeks in rome said...

I am so sorry about your mom. She has such a nice smile and glow. Thank you for putting up her picture. :)
I think once you have kids of your own you realize how much your mom does/did love you despite the bad things and problems.

You really do need an elder. That's why these modern day generationally segregated communities suck so much.

I'm a million miles away from my mom and I miss her so. Ironically it prepares me for the day she will no longer be, yet pulls me to never let her go. I can still call and get advice. She is so wise. I hope when her day comes I can pray to her and hear her talking back. I really believe our loved ones are there watching over us (which isn't always a great thing!)