Monday, July 12, 2010

silver lining and mil rant

In the continuing search for my mobile + cleaning and clearing effort, I've just excavated beneath the sofas.

My mobile is stil absent without leave (dammit! The missed social opportunities!) but I DID find my missing John Rocha Earrings (well, the one John Rocha and the one fake replacement of the original missing earring that I kept on in bed one night to find it gone foever the next morning), my missing DRIVING LICENCE (thank god I didn't replace it!) and €3.56 in change.

I was so sure I'd lost my drving licence in town last winter, the night I went to Janeane Garrofollo. But no. It was just under one of the sofas. Strange, these little things.

More than ever, I still need Google House (or was it Google Wherethefuckisit?), the search programme of one's home I (what's the word for inventing something without actually inventing it?).

In further messy house/life/psyche news, my mother in law berated me today because when she'd called up there was all this recycling outside the house. It was disgusting. It will encourage rats. I should keep it cleared more often. Why don't I go to the bring centre with it? She was disgusted. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

In fairness, I managed to miss  the recycling day a couple times, and so had two clear recycling bags full of clean recycling sitting by the bins (ok, three, and the third one has been there ages because I never know when the company it's for collects). She's right of course, I fully believe in and understand the value of space clearing, I just can't seem to live it with the same vicious ruthlessness that she does. Still, I just can't bring myself to be moved to the same heights of emotion by waiting bags of recycling as she can.

Also, she asked how things are going with me and Axel. I said that he wasn't  doing anything about moving or clearing or anything and I wasn't sure what to do as I didn't want to make him feel pushed out, I'd rather he involved himself. And she looked at me ... hmm, I don't really know what that expression she does is - like I've said something disingenuous or fake or naive that she finds ridiculous... and did the sardonic, mocking laugh she often does when you tell her something sensitive or personal. But I have no idea what she meant by it. My only hope is that she doesn't know either and she just doesn't know what to do with personal conversation. Bleeeehhhh.

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Housecleaning on a lot of levels, are we?

Jo said...

Sigh.

laughykate said...

I may have judged this completely wrong, but she sounds like she was being a frightful meanie.

Jo said...

I think she s just unable to handle emotion very well. I think the inappropriate laughter is a nervous thing, I don't know.

geeks in rome said...

you should have bagged her up, too for recycling

Mwa said...

Sounds like a lovely mother-in-law, telling you you're disgusting. Yuck. I feel bad just reading about it. (Not in the "Anonymous" way before you think that - just sympathising.)

Jo said...

Well, I suppose she didn't mean to attribute disgustingness to me personally, just my filthy recycling habits.

What gets to me is that inside the house is FAR more digusting, and she refrains from comment on that, mostly. WEll, except when I say I've cleaned up and she tells me she doesn't notice the difference.

To be honest, it's a point in her favour that she enters my doorway at all :)

Anonymous said...

Makes me miss supermum's mother all the more. Though she's driven spare by the (thankfully) very sparse interactions with either of my mothers.

Jo said...

Oh, yes, I know that one - what my mther in law IS like makes me miss my own mother so much more.

Two mothers in law though... that's a lot alright :)