Tuesday, January 11, 2011

candle


I light this light in the dark for you


I hold you tight in the dark, I do


to guide your way as you sail  this sea



to light your path and help you see


little lights, little prayers
little whispers of hope and care for you xx


I like to light candles, when there is some reason to watch over someone. Births, illnesses, hopes, cares. A tiny little bit of magic, a dedication of warmth and light and life. Just a tiny bit of solace, if nothing more.

This candle holder was made my an old, dear friend's mother, who cares about me. It's beautiful white porcelain clay, perfect to fit in cupped hands, it's a little ethereal, really. I saw them in a group she'd made, and gasped, they were so beautiful. And later, she gave me this one as a present :)

When I was in a very sad, dark place, she called me, and talked, and  told me her own story, that she'd never shared with anyone else, and held my hand that way, and I'll always be grateful for that.

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Beautiful. I light candles too, as you know. I always say that it's love made visible.

geeks in rome said...

gorgeous!!! that is a bowl full of magic right there! lovely poem, too.

Fire and flames are so soothing. apparently they help stimulate the alpha state (reflective, meditative state) in your brain.

I love candles so much, but with the kids, cat and clutter, I fear setting this place on fire... this bowl is nice coz it looks like it would keep the flame away from people and things.

laughykate said...

How so very cool. I think we have a primal attraction to candles, light.

Mwa said...

So wonderful.

I have only ever lit a candle like that once, when my grandmother was dying. I think I may do it more in the future, though. It's a good way to have a visual part to the thoughts in your soul. That sounded more high-handed than I meant it.

Ah - I see Ms. Moon said something similar.

Irmhild said...

i used to do it a lot, especially during the 1st and 2nd pregnancy. but somehow, during the stressful time last autumn, with Emm's eyes, I completely stopped, I found it all so useless and pointless. I knew in my heart it wasn't going to make a difference to her eyes. Maybe I associated it with church and god too much, rather than thinking of the candle as a more general prayer, my thoughts and wishes for her sent out into the ether!
Mind you, that didn't stop me making sure my mum was lighting candles. I felt, her lighting candles would be efficient, because she is quite religious.
weird. i know. i think my doubtful state would render any candle lighting pointless

Jo said...

Oh, I know, Irmhild, totally. I don't believe it makes miracles or anything. It's just a tangible thing, a sign, a symbol. like Mary says, love you can see. A comfort. That's all, but maybe it's something in itself, I don't know.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

Jo said...

Um. Sorry, itchy, I do see your point! And I'll go edit that unfortunate phrase out :)

but given that we were talking about our mothers dying in somewhat traumatic circumstances, I'm going to keep the tone sombre and just remove that one :)