Thursday, June 23, 2011

booklist

Caitlin Moran's new book. I never heard of her before. How is that possible?


New Roddy Doyle. Though the cover blurb suggests its about middle aged men dealing with Recession in Dublin. Which is a little predictable, maybe. Although, in fairness, it does have bullfighting in it, so that's different.


http://www.roddydoyle.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/doyle_bullfighting.jpg

I feel I should be reading the new Anne Enright.


While this opening line of a review delights me - To read Anne Enright is to be glad that she is not watching you. - the book seems to be about the grimness of adultery... and ... well...

the shamefull truth is, I'd rather read the new Lisa Jewell


5 comments:

Mwa said...

I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife (years after everyone else, I realise) and I'm hooked! Completely. It's just a shame that the good ones are finished so quickly.

Jo said...

I must get round to that too!

Mwa said...

No! I take it back! The end is depressing - had me feeling down for days. They fucking make you care about the main character and then kill him off, slowly and tantalisingly. I hate that.

Rosie said...

the Ann Enright novel is wonderful and the world and its mother should read it.

Jo said...

Ah, I have no doubt of it, but this mother needs to avoid stories of marital breakdown and infidelity and children who don't want their worlds to be turned upsidedown, and thereby avoid triggering debilitating depression and weeping episodes that make her less able to look after her own children... so ... I'm sure I will read it, but not right now.