Sunday, July 5, 2015

rainsong

I woke up to a pouring, green morning. All quiet, as the rain kept the neighbour kids and their noise indoors.

I drove to the countryside and had lunch with my godparents. Watched my friend's girls dote on their grandad, watched him play ... such a sweet thing to see.

We sat out, surrounded by flowers and green, then retreated at the first sprinkle that turned into another downpour - water drummed on the roof of the barn and fountained off the gutter. The girls' circus dad has hung a swing from the tall barn roof, and right in front of it was the greatest cascade of water, framed by the almost-as-heavy rain and purple clematis and a swathe of grass and flowers beyond. I was interested in the conversation, but felt distracted because part of me was dying to jump on the swing and splash through the water, back and forth, get wet, scream and celebrate.

It's been great, all the sun we've had recently, but the rain, the rain, feels such a blessing after weeks of heat. You feel the earth opening up and drinking it in, the plants sighing, your ions aligning. Love the rain too.



http://favimages.com/image/206445/

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I am listening to rainsong as well here. Isn't it beautiful?

Mwa said...

We were sitting outside having lunch under a parasol when it started raining. The parasol was large enough, so we stayed. I was so happy that everything got cooler. All our windows are open against each other right now.