Friday, May 28, 2010

faces

So there's this woman I've seen around Bray a bit, in Tesco, etc. And you know how you see a face that's familiar and you wonder if it's someone you knew a long time ago?

When I was maybe ten or eleven, I made friends with a girl from the riding summer camp we did at the stables we went to. We were there a couple years in a row, and shared a couple sleep overs after. Most likely wrote letters, if you can imagine.

But that was that. Secondary school and new social lives took over. But I remember faces, and I've been wanting to ask her if it could possibly be her. And then Bodhi started playschool, and she was there with her daughter, so today I summoned my resolve (which was pretty much there to begin with, because as you might imagine, I'm not really so shy about these things) and asked if there was any chance she was Maria, and if it was her. And it was. She lives round the corner from me, more or less. There are promises of playdates and coffee...

I'm sorry I didn't get round to getting Bodhi in there earlier but ah well. But I like that I can find people again like that.

My best memory of her is sitting round at camp reading horoscopes, and someone reading out that she should beware of a small blue van. In a doom laden voice, she interrupted, saying, 'wait a minute! we have a small, blue van.'

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Ah- good to reconnect!

geeks in rome said...

always stay away from men with vans!!!!

Mwa said...

Lovely!

I recently reconnected with someone from the past, but she was more boring than I remembered her. Shame.