Sunday, May 27, 2007

TV3 Or not TV3

I have a dilemma, a quandary... a production company approached me looking ofr a homebirth fmialy for a diary documentary series - our episode would be on birth. We did a 'screen test' for them last week and apparently they like the look of us, and will get back to us in a week or so if they want us.

I think it would just entail a few visits here - one or two before the birth, perhaps during a midwife visit, then (and this is the tricky bit) just after the birth - which the producer vaguely (yet firmly!) said would maybe be a couple hours afterwards. I don't think they really understand what this means - they're happy not to film the birth (which I wouldn't have had anyway!) but they will want to be chatting to me, in my bedrom, over my off-spring who wil be a few hours old!

The problem with this is it slightly goes against the intimacy and peace of a homebirth (Jesus, peace, there's a horrible little dog yapping enlessly outside, which is driving me nuts. The magpies are pissing me off too at the moment, I thinK I need a pellet gun. You can tell I'm pregnant, I'm ususally a peacenik animal lover). The whole point of a HB is just having your chosen nearest and dearest around you and a lovely baby mooon after. Significantly, how can I keep my mother-in-law at bay this time if I've just invited a film crew into my bedroom?

The reasons I would like to do this are to promote a postiive view of a natural homebirth, and because I wanted nothing more, after the crap I received during my first pregnancy, than to tell everybody my birth story, and say, see, this is what it can be like. I didn't need the epidural, I didn't endanger my baby, listen to this great stry. I suppose telling my birth story on tv with my newborn in my arms would really let me feel I'd done that!

On the downside, I'm worried that keeping my house clean enough to go on TV will cause me immense stress, which I need to avoid. Also they want to get in on the Christening, which I have done nothing about planning yet! I also have yet to discuss this with my midwife.

I woke up worrying about this this morning - I feel it could go either way - be absolutely fine, or mess things up competely and I'll feel silly and regret it forever.
More to come on this - I'm off to watch the Lost finale!

1 comment:

Midget Wrangler said...

I think it sounds amazing, you would be promoting natural birth, even if it didn't make paople feel they wanted a home birth themselves, it would at least show that labour and delivery isn't always a horrible medical experience!